Saturday, August 4, 2012

Store up Treasures

I have a job.....I will have the privilege to substitute teach for preschool teachers at our church.  Wow.  God has been getting me ready for this for a while.  I knew that if God really wanted me to go to work he would be kind and gentle to me.  I knew He would give me a job I could really love.  I really never thought I would go back to work.  I mean I am a wife and a mom.  That is who I am. Before I had my babies (well....they are 6 & 9 but will always be babies to me.) I worked in retail.  I loved it at the time, but selling clothing can take a bit of an insignificant place in your life when raising a family.  My husband is a firefighter and it was hard to come home and talk about a hard day when I would compare it to what he did for the day....."I had a customer who was so unhappy today...." was me...."oh, we saved a baby today..." I was really losing my desire to sell clothing.  So I hoped that whatever I was given the opportunity to do would be something that could make an impact in life.  I wanted to do something that felt worthwhile not just to make some extra money.
Today my kids and I read a devotional that talked about storing our treasures in heaven.  The bible talks about storing our treasures in heaven:

Treasures in Heaven

Matthew 6:19-21
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The devotional talked about how we invest our money.  It spoke about how we can either spend our money or we can invest it to make a gain on it.  

That really made sense to me.  If we use our time and money here on earth we just end up leaving it here.  It is like the cash we just spend and it is gone.  But, if we invest our time and money in things of God we are investing in heaven.  When we give our time to tell someone about God, to pray for them, or give our money to help support those who do, we are storing up treasures in heaven.  Our money and time is increased greatly and we will enjoy our investments for eternity.  What a wonderful thought on what we should spend our time and money on.

I am thankful I will have an opportunity to invest in some little people...only if it is just on a substitute amount of time.  I think we all have something we can give to others, some sort of investment in heaven and Gods purpose we can give.  Some can give money to missionaries or the local church, some have time they can give to impact a life for Jesus.  Even a prayer sent up for a friend in need, someone hurting or going through a struggle.  
Won't it be fun when we get to heaven and get to enjoy the return on our investments for eternity!  I am looking forward to it.  
Go and make some of your own investments today.  You will be blessed today for your time, and for eternity we will all be enjoying the dividend of your investments.  

Blessings