Monday, August 13, 2012

Whatever you do

Whatever work you do, do your best, because you are going to the grave, where there is no working, no planning, no knowledge, and no wisdom.
Ecclesiastes 9:10

Facing cancer can really change your prospective on life.  Any major bump in our roads can change our prospectives on life.  We all face them.  We all have difficulties that rock our world.  We all have moments and seasons in our lives that change us.  I would even say we have moment over and over again that change us.
We are constantly evolving into more mature people.  If we are Christ followers we are to be evolving to become more like Christ.  We are told to be examples of Christ.  To be His witness here, where ever we are, of His love and grace to all who seek Him.  "Imitate me, as I also imitate Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1.  
I was thinking on Ecclesiastes 9:10.  We so often struggle with what God wants us to do with our lives, our ministries, our children, our families, our spouses.  But, I think sometimes we forget that God is sovereign.  He already knows what He has for us to do.  He said so...."For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11.  
It got me thinking.  If God knows my plans, and I don't what am I suppose to do then?  "...whatever you do, do your best...."  God has plans for us.  He has placed us where he wants us, so He must have something for us to do there.  So should we go around focusing on figuring out what God has planned for us? Debating amongst ourselves on what God thinks about this or how as Christians we should feel about that.  I think the better thing would be to focus on God and let His plan play out.  The rest of Ecclesiastes 9 was interesting.  It talked about enjoying ourselves.  To enjoy those around us.  It said we all have the same end and that is the grave.  God gave us now to enjoy as well as to work hard.  To make the most of today.  I think it might even be telling us to relax, stop stressing about what God wants us to do and let it happen.  God has given us so much direction in His word that that alone should keep us plenty busy.  I am sure if we started with John 13:34-35 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” We could spend our lives working on that alone.  
Maybe if we stopped trying to figure out what it is God has for us to do and just left that up to Him and did the things all around us that need taking care of, like loving and enjoying those around us, we could be used by God in a mighty way.  

Blessings